This washing-up bowl adds a poetic element to a repetitive and sometimes tiresome routine, and can be characterised as a piece of industrial handicraft. Story behind the design goes as follows:
One day, while washing up in his kitchen at home, Ole Jensen felt reluctant to put his fragile porcelain and glass straight into the stainless steel sink. He also noticed that the sink's shape was very inflexible in relation to unusual kinds of dishes and tableware, and the idea of a flexible washing-up bowl began to take shape in his mind. The idea was that the washing-up bowl should adapt its shape to whatever object lay in it, so Ole decided to use a flexible material, such as rubber. He then designed the prototype, hand-working the model on his potter's wheel until the shape was right. The washing-up brush is made of Chinese pig bristles bent and glued to the wood. The brush is produced according to old production techniques. The washing-up bowl was awarded the prestigious International Design Plus Prize in 2002.
Ole Jensen (b. 1958) is a highly recognised Danish designer who studied at the Arts and Crafts College in Kolding, Denmark, and at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen, Denmark. He was originally focused on ceramic, but has later on broadened his work considerably. He has taught at several design schools, exhibited his works worldwide and co-founded and served as a member of several design associations and councils.
Ole Jensen’s design philosophy is about ideas and materials being closely related. The idea takes its form only when working with the material. Good examples of this are products designed for Normann Copenhagen such as the washing-up bowl and brush, the dustpan and broom and the Jensen bowls or the Vitamin Container bowl created for Muuto. Ole Jensen has won several famous design awards, including the Formland Prize 2002 (for the dustpan and broom) the Design Plus Award 2002 (for the washing-up bowl), the Design Plus Award 2005 (for the Jensen bowls), the Torsten and Wanja Söderberg’s Prize, the Red Dot Design Award, the If Product Design Award and the Good Design Award. Ole Jensen has been featured in several publications and is represented in a number of museums such as the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, the Röhsska Museum, Gothenburg, Sweden, and the Danish Museum of Art &Design, Copenhagen.
We ship worldwide to over 180 countries. You can select your shipping destination at the top left corner of our website.
What does the shipping cost?
• European Union (EU) Countries, Norway & Switzerland Currently, we offer free standard shipping on all orders over 150 €. If the total value of the order is less than 150 €, the shipping cost will be 7,90 €–14,90 € depending on the weight and volume of the items.
• International shipping For non-European Union countries the shipping cost, starting from 7,90 €, is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel. The shipping cost for each item is displayed on the product page. For bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – you may request a shipping quote by filling in the form on the product page. We will provide you with a quote in two business days.
What shipping methods are available?
We offer the following shipping methods:
• DHL Global Mail, starting from 7,90 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address or local post office via DHL Global Mail. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically.
Europe: please allow 4–8 business days for your order to arrive. North America: please allow 5–9 business days for your order to arrive. Australia: please allow 10–15 business days for your order to arrive. Rest of the world: please allow 5–15 business days for your order to arrive.
You may be able to track your order within 24-48 hours after it has been processed at the local DHL facility. Please note that the availability of the tracking information depends on the destination country. DHL does not offer tracking for orders that are delivered by the local postal service. DHL Global Mail is available for small parcels only.
• UPS Standard, starting from 6,00 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Standard. Please allow 2–7 business days for your order to arrive. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. You can check the exact shipping rate for your country on product pages and at checkout.
• UPS Expedited (for international orders) Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Expedited. Please allow 1–2 weeks for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours.
• UPS Express Saver UPS Express Saver is the fastest shipping option available. Please allow 1–2 business days for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. You will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. Please note that UPS Express Saver is not available for all orders.
• DSV Freight All bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – will be shipped with the DSV Freight service.
• DSV Air Freight Furniture and other large items will be shipped to the delivery address via DVS Air Freight. The delivery time is 6–8 business days. You will receive a tracking code by email once the order has been dispatched from our warehouse. DSV delivers orders only to the street level and will call you in advance to schedule a delivery appointment. All orders outside the European Union will be shipped as DAP (Delivered at Place), duty unpaid.
Europe: please allow 2–9 business days for your order to arrive. We offer free standard shipping for all orders over 150 €. Rest of the world: The shipping cost and estimated delivery date will be stated in the quote provided by our customer service.
When will my order arrive?
You can see the estimated delivery time for your whole order at checkout.
We will calculate the shipping cost for bulky and oversized items shipped outside Europe. Please fill out the form and we will provide you with a quote in two business days. If you would like to have more information about shipping, we are happy to help you by email at [email protected] or by phone at +358 20 743 2530, Mon–Fri 9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (GMT +3).
Subscribe to our newsletter by 4 June for a chance win Made By Hand’s Knit-Wit pendant in sunrise (value 502 €). All subscribers will be automatically entered in the prize draw held on 4 June 2018.
Taxes and duties
All non-EU countries are shipped to on a DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) basis, which means that all product prices displayed are exclusive of all taxes and duties. When shipping internationally, you are responsible for any customs duties and taxes that are levied by your destination country. Finnish Design Shop does not collect these fees. All orders are shipped from Finland. Each product’s country of origin is indicated in the documents (non-EU orders only).
Please fill in your local phone number and select the country from the menu on the left. Your phone number is required so that the courier or shipping company can contact you regarding the delivery.
Select shipping country
Please select your shipping country to display the correct pricing and available shipping methods.