One of the treasures of Henna Laakso’s living room is an LCM lounge chair designed by Charles and Ray Eames. Its meticulously crafted ergonomics delight its owner every day.
“I BOUGHT MY LCM lounge chair a couple of years ago at the Artek Aitta pop-up event in Turku. These chairs, designed by Charles and Ray Eames, were available for sale in a surprisingly large number, but at a good price. I have a particular weakness for classics, so I immediately bought one of the chairs for my home, even though it had some signs of wear.
The LCM armchair doesn’t look very comfortable at first glance, but as soon as you sit in it, you can feel the quality. The chair is designed really cleverly, and its backrest gives way just the right amount when you lean back. The Eames clearly thought through the comfortable seating position from start to finish. The functional ergonomics are a delight every time I sit in the chair. LCM is also popular with our guests.
“As soon as you sit in the LCM lounge chair, you can feel the quality.”
I buy furniture carefully and for the long run, but they usually sit well together in my home, as I like restrained and classic design. I look for interior design inspiration in films and magazines, and I read Italian design magazines in particular. I also find myself often returning to the same things and furniture even years later.
Classic design stands the test of time, and well-designed furniture is suitable for a wide variety of spaces. I can easily imagine an LCM chair in many other environments as well. I think this is a good rule of thumb when buying something for the home: objects should not be bought if they are too closely bound to their own time or a certain trend.”
What: LCM lounge chair
- Charles and Ray Eames designed the LCM lounge chair in 1946, and it was first manufactured by the Evans Plywood Company. Today the chair is made by Herman Miller and Vitra.
- The chair is part of the Plywood Group collection created with the designer couple's innovative plywood molding techniques.
- The LCM chair is also known as the Potato Chip Chair due to its thin and curved plywood parts.
What is Franckly?
- Franckly.com is an online marketplace for pre-owned design
- Created and curated by Finnish Design Shop
- Buy and sell pre-owned design treasures: Franckly.com >
Text and photos: Suvi Kesäläinen