The ninth issue of the Danish Ark Journal (spring/summer 2023) will reflect on themes of creativity and work by asking the question “What is already there?”. The magazine takes the reader on a 240-page journey through homes and museums in Copenhagen, a Mexican jungle and a penthouse in Antwerp – you'll also get to peek into the studio and home of the legendary designer Yrjö Kukkapuro! Ark Journal has four different beautiful cover options.
- Ark Journal Volume IX uses the question ‘What is already there?’ to examine the creativity and hard work that go into new projects and those involving renovation, restoration and extension.
- We delve into the architectural heritage of Copenhagen and visit the listed and renovated Copenhagen apartment of an artist couple. A photo essay by architect Mathias Mentze captures Thorvaldsen Museum, and a special insert showcases the work of Copenhagen-based artist Albert Grøndahl.
- A Mexican gallery couple has transformed a series of ruins into a home filled with art that blends indoor and outdoor spaces, maintaining the existing structures and incorporating them into a harmonious blend of old and new.
- The architectural and design practice of Fanny Bauer Grung and David Lopez Quincoces in Milan.
- Volume IX finds residences and spaces where design has a profound physical and emotional impact: the studio and home of Finnish master designer Yrjö Kukkapuro, a home in Oaxaca open to the jungle, a transparent Antwerp penthouse, a modest but soulful mid-century house in Los Angeles, and many more.