Scholten & Baijings | Patio furniture
Scholten & Baijings, the design studio of Stefan Scholten and Carole Baijings, is known especially for the designers' talented use of colours and carefully thought-out details in their designs. Scholten & Baijings have collaborated with the likes of for HAY, Karimoku New Standard, Established & Sons and Thomas Eyck.
Image Marie Pierre Morel
Would you like to read more about Scholten & Baijings and their work? Discover our books:
Reproducing Scholten & Baijings
Nordic patio furniture for your summer oasis – welcome to explore our garden furniture shop
Well-made patio furniture beckons you to step into the garden or balcony whenever the mood strikes – be it a serene summer breakfast, a quick coffee break or a late-night garden fiesta. By investing in high-quality, durable and easy-to-maintain garden furniture, you can savour your summer retreat year after year.
How do I choose the right patio furniture?
When selecting new patio furniture, begin by honing in on the material, size and style of the furniture. Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Let the location guide the choice of material: a covered and rain-protected terrace allows for a wider range of outdoor furniture options than an entirely exposed backyard.
2. Consider whether you prefer sturdiness and solidity or lightweight and easily movable pieces, such as folding furniture. Size your garden furniture according to your needs and the size of your outdoor area, leaving enough space around the furniture to prevent chairs from hitting the walls.
4. Take your time to examine different patio furniture collections, considering your future needs as well – if you plan to expand your furniture set in the future, are there suitable pieces available?
Which patio furniture is the most durable?
The most common materials for outdoor furniture include metal, wood and plastic, with weather-resistant versions available for each. Regardless of the material you choose, be sure to read the care instructions well – proper furniture care products and storage will extend the lifespan of the furniture.
• Among metal outdoor furniture, stainless or galvanized steel and aluminium are the superheroes of durability.
• Natural rattan furniture can last for decades if maintained with care, but it doesn't thrive in direct sunlight or rain.
• Resembling natural rattan, polyethene-made poly rattan is a highly popular, durable and low-maintenance garden furniture material. There are also many other options for plastic outdoor furniture.
Can patio furniture be left outside in winter?
The weather resistance of patio furniture varies depending on the material and climate. However, to ensure the longest lifespan, it's best to store your outdoor furniture protected from frost and moisture. If storing garden furniture indoors isn't possible, keep it under a roof and cover it with a protective cover during the winter. Stainless metals, such as aluminium and stainless or galvanized steel, are among the most weather-resistant materials.
Inspiration for exploring Scandinavian patio furniture
Explore inspiration and get ideas for your patio furniture planning in our Design Stories online magazine. Start your journey with these selected articles:
• Patio decor brings the inside out: 7 tips for outdoor styling >
• Ask the Customer Service: “Which outdoor furniture set would be durable and particularly easy to maintain?” >
• How to choose furniture for a small balcony or porch? Introducing 9 space-saving designs >
• Muuto's new Linear Steel garden furniture brings people together >