Artek’s AMA 500 pendant, designed by Aino Aalto, is a stunning classic from 1941. Due to its shape that provides generous downwards lighting, the simple, beautifully designed piece is ideal for being placed on top of a dining table or desk. The decorative brass ring is not only an attractive detail but has a function: the cleverly perforated ring prevents glare.
Aino Aalto designed the AMA 500 pendant originally for Villa Mairea, a building she designed in collaboration with her husband Alvar Aalto. Built as the home of Maire and Harry Gullichsen, Villa Mairea is regarded as one of the greatest home designs of 20th-century architecture. To this day, the AMA 500 pendant is still in use at Villa Mairea’s library.
Aino Aalto (1894-1949) was a well-known Finnish architect and designer. She studied architecture at the Helsinki University of Technology like her husband, the famous Alvar Aalto. In 1923 she went to work at the office of Gunnar A. Wahlroos, Jyväskylä, and switched to Alvar Aalto's office the following year.
This was the beginning of a long and fruitful partnership. In 1935 Aino Aalto, together with Alvar Aalto, Maire Gullichsen and Nils-Gustav Hahl, founded Artek, a world renowned furniture and lighting company. She played an important role in the company and worked as Managing Director of Artek from 1941 to 1949. Aino Aalto had a brilliant career as a furniture and interior designer, an architect and a photographer, but is mainly known for her glassware design. Aino Aalto’s most famous design is probably the Aino Aalto glassware range, created in 1932 with the name of Bölgeblick, rings of water. The range was designed for a competition which was organized with the aim of producing drinking glasses that would be suitable for mass production. Aino Aalto, who in the competition beated also his husband, Alvar Aalto, was inspired by the rings made when a stone hits the water. Her design gained immediate international recognition and won the Gold Medal in the 1936 Milan Triennal. In production since 1932, Aino Aalto’s glasses are ideal for the everyday use but also for elegant dinner parties. Their simple design is what makes them a timeless classic – perfect for the table still today as it was in 1932.
We ship worldwide to over 180 countries. You can select your shipping destination at the top left corner of our website.
What does the shipping cost?
• European Union (EU) Countries, Norway & Switzerland Currently, we offer free standard shipping on all orders over 150 €. If the total value of the order is less than 150 €, the shipping cost will be 7,90 €–14,90 € depending on the weight and volume of the items.
• International shipping For non-European Union countries the shipping cost, starting from 7,90 €, is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel. The shipping cost for each item is displayed on the product page. For bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – you may request a shipping quote by filling in the form on the product page. We will provide you with a quote in two business days.
What shipping methods are available?
We offer the following shipping methods:
• DHL Global Mail, from 7,90 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address or local post office via DHL Global Mail. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically.
Europe: please allow 4–8 business days for your order to arrive. North America: please allow 5–9 business days for your order to arrive. Australia: please allow 10–15 business days for your order to arrive. Rest of the world: please allow 5–15 business days for your order to arrive.
You may be able to track your order within 24-48 hours after it has been processed at the local DHL facility. Please note that the availability of the tracking information depends on the destination country. DHL does not offer tracking for orders that are delivered by the local postal service. DHL Global Mail is available for small parcels only.
• DHL Parcel, from 8,80 € (Europe) / 15,99 € (outside Europe) Your order will be delivered to the shipping address via DHL Parcel. The shipping cost is based on the destination and weight of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. The exact rate and estimated delivery date for your country are displayed at checkout. DHL Parcel is often the most economical shipping method for items that are large and lightweight.
You can track your order within 72 hours it has been shipped from our warehouse. After the first delivery attempt, the parcel will be transported to a local pickup point. Please note that DHL Parcel is not available for all orders.
• UPS Standard, from 6,00 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Standard. Please allow 2–7 business days for your order to arrive. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. You can check the exact shipping rate for your country on product pages and at checkout.
• UPS Expedited (for international orders) Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Expedited. Please allow 1–2 weeks for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours.
• UPS Express Saver UPS Express Saver is the fastest shipping option available. Please allow 1–2 business days for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. You will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. Please note that UPS Express Saver is not available for all orders.
• TNT (for international orders) Your order will be delivered to the shipping address via the TNT Economy Express or TNT Express service. TNT is often the most economical shipping method for bulky and oversized items such as sofas, lounge chairs and dining tables.
The shipping cost is based on the destination and weight of the shipment and will be calculated automatically. The exact rate and estimated delivery date for your country are displayed at checkout.
TNT Economy Express: please allow 4–8 business days for your order to arrive. TNT Express: please allow 3–6 business days for your order to arrive.
• DSV Freight All bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – will be shipped with the DSV Freight service.
• DSV Air Freight Furniture and other large items will be shipped to the delivery address via DVS Air Freight. The delivery time is 6–8 business days. You will receive a tracking code by email once the order has been dispatched from our warehouse. DSV delivers orders only to the street level and will call you in advance to schedule a delivery appointment. All orders outside the European Union will be shipped as DAP (Delivered at Place), duty unpaid.
Europe: please allow 2–9 business days for your order to arrive. We offer free standard shipping for all orders over 150 €. Rest of the world: The shipping cost and estimated delivery date will be stated in the quote provided by our customer service.
When will my order arrive?
You can see the estimated delivery time for your whole order at checkout.
We will calculate the shipping cost for bulky and oversized items shipped outside Europe. Please fill out the form and we will provide you with a quote in two business days. If you would like to have more information about shipping, we are happy to help you by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +358 20 743 2530, Mon–Fri 9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (GMT +3).
Sign up for Finnish Design Shop's newsletter by 30 July for a chance to win a €200 gift card to our online store. All subscribers will be automatically entered in the prize draw held on 31 July 2020.
Taxes and duties
All non-EU countries are shipped to on a DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) basis, which means that all product prices displayed are exclusive of all taxes and duties. When shipping internationally, you are responsible for any customs duties and taxes that are levied by your destination country. Finnish Design Shop does not collect these fees. All orders are shipped from Finland. Each product’s country of origin is indicated in the documents (non-EU orders only).
Please fill in your local phone number and select the country from the menu on the left. Your phone number is required so that the courier or shipping company can contact you regarding the delivery.
Select shipping country
Please select your shipping country to display the correct pricing and available shipping methods.
Customer service hours
Customer Service is closed at the moment
Please email us at email@example.com, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.