Artek's A330S pendant light, known also as Golden Bell, was originally designed for the Restaurant Savoy in 1937. The elegant A330S pendant combines Alvar Aalto's typical streamlined design and the characteristic diffused light. A330S pendant is made of one single piece of steel with a polished chrome coating on the outside. The white inside reflects a clean, pleasant light.
Designing lights had a central part in Alvar Aalto's work – for him lighting played an important role in architecture. Lamps were a part of the whole that he wanted to control to the smallest detail. Many of Aalto's lights were originally created for a particular building.
Alvar Aalto (1898-1976) is probably the most famous Finnish architect and designer in the world. In 1921 Alvar Aalto got the Diploma of Architecture at the Helsinki Institute of Technology and his career as an architect started. One of the most important works he was commissioned was the planning of the tuberculosis sanatorium in Paimio, Finland. This project meant also the beginning of Aalto’s career as a furniture designer – in fact, this was the first building planned by Aalto which was entirely furnished with pieces of furniture designed by Aalto himself – including the lighting as well. Other important projects completed by Alvar Aalto are the Viipuri Municipal Library, Villa Mairea, La Maison Carré and the Finnish Pavilions for the 1937 Paris and 1939 New York World Fairs.
In 1935 Alvar Aalto, together with Aino Aalto, Maire Gullichsen and Nils-Gustav Hahl, founded Artek, a world-renowned furniture and lighting company. The company was created "to sell furniture" – designed by Alvar Aalto – "and to promote modern culture of habitation by exhibitions and other means".
One of the most ingenious innovations by Alvar Aalto is the L-leg, patented in 1933. Aalto considered his L-leg design his greatest achievement and even compared it to the invention of the architectonic column. Thanks to this innovation, the legs could be attached directly to the table, chair and stool tops. Alvar Aalto was a versatile designer whose work covered different fields. He is well-known also for his elegant lamps, which very often were designed for individual construction projects and later on adapted for the serial production. Alvar Aalto was also an esteemed glass designer and his most famous work as a glass designer is the Aalto vase (or Savoy vase) – one of the most iconic glassware pieces in Finnish design.
We ship worldwide to over 180 countries. You can select your shipping destination at the top left corner of our website.
What does the shipping cost?
• European Union (EU) Countries, Norway & Switzerland Currently, we offer free standard shipping on all orders over 150 €. If the total value of the order is less than 150 €, the shipping cost will be 7,90 €–14,90 € depending on the weight and volume of the items.
• International shipping For non-European Union countries the shipping cost, starting from 7,90 €, is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel. The shipping cost for each item is displayed on the product page. For bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – you may request a shipping quote by filling in the form on the product page. We will provide you with a quote in two business days.
What shipping methods are available?
We offer the following shipping methods:
• DHL Global Mail, from 7,90 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address or local post office via DHL Global Mail. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically.
Europe: please allow 4–8 business days for your order to arrive. North America: please allow 5–9 business days for your order to arrive. Australia: please allow 10–15 business days for your order to arrive. Rest of the world: please allow 5–15 business days for your order to arrive.
You may be able to track your order within 24-48 hours after it has been processed at the local DHL facility. Please note that the availability of the tracking information depends on the destination country. DHL does not offer tracking for orders that are delivered by the local postal service. DHL Global Mail is available for small parcels only.
• DHL Parcel, from 8,80 € (Europe) / 15,99 € (outside Europe) Your order will be delivered to the shipping address via DHL Parcel. The shipping cost is based on the destination and weight of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. The exact rate and estimated delivery date for your country are displayed at checkout. DHL Parcel is often the most economical shipping method for items that are large and lightweight.
You can track your order within 72 hours it has been shipped from our warehouse. After the first delivery attempt, the parcel will be transported to a local pickup point. Please note that DHL Parcel is not available for all orders.
• UPS Standard, from 6,00 € Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Standard. Please allow 2–7 business days for your order to arrive. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. You can check the exact shipping rate for your country on product pages and at checkout.
• UPS Expedited (for international orders) Your order will be shipped to the delivery address via UPS Expedited. Please allow 1–2 weeks for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. The delivery time depends on the shipping destination and you will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours.
• UPS Express Saver UPS Express Saver is the fastest shipping option available. Please allow 1–2 business days for your order to arrive. The shipping cost is based on the destination, weight and volume of the parcel and will be calculated automatically. You will see the estimated delivery date at checkout. Deliveries are made between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. Please note that UPS Express Saver is not available for all orders.
• TNT (for international orders) Your order will be delivered to the shipping address via the TNT Economy Express or TNT Express service. TNT is often the most economical shipping method for bulky and oversized items such as sofas, lounge chairs and dining tables.
The shipping cost is based on the destination and weight of the shipment and will be calculated automatically. The exact rate and estimated delivery date for your country are displayed at checkout.
TNT Economy Express: please allow 4–8 business days for your order to arrive. TNT Express: please allow 3–6 business days for your order to arrive.
• DSV Freight All bulky and oversized items – such as sofas, lounge chairs, dining tables etc. – will be shipped with the DSV Freight service.
• DSV Air Freight Furniture and other large items will be shipped to the delivery address via DVS Air Freight. The delivery time is 6–8 business days. You will receive a tracking code by email once the order has been dispatched from our warehouse. DSV delivers orders only to the street level and will call you in advance to schedule a delivery appointment. All orders outside the European Union will be shipped as DAP (Delivered at Place), duty unpaid.
Europe: please allow 2–9 business days for your order to arrive. We offer free standard shipping for all orders over 150 €. Rest of the world: The shipping cost and estimated delivery date will be stated in the quote provided by our customer service.
When will my order arrive?
You can see the estimated delivery time for your whole order at checkout.
We will calculate the shipping cost for bulky and oversized items shipped outside Europe. Please fill out the form and we will provide you with a quote in two business days. If you would like to have more information about shipping, we are happy to help you by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +358 20 743 2530, Mon–Fri 9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (GMT +3).
Sign up for Finnish Design Shop's newsletter by 30 July for a chance to win a €200 gift card to our online store. All subscribers will be automatically entered in the prize draw held on 31 July 2020.
Taxes and duties
All non-EU countries are shipped to on a DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) basis, which means that all product prices displayed are exclusive of all taxes and duties. When shipping internationally, you are responsible for any customs duties and taxes that are levied by your destination country. Finnish Design Shop does not collect these fees. All orders are shipped from Finland. Each product’s country of origin is indicated in the documents (non-EU orders only).
Please fill in your local phone number and select the country from the menu on the left. Your phone number is required so that the courier or shipping company can contact you regarding the delivery.
Select shipping country
Please select your shipping country to display the correct pricing and available shipping methods.